Monday, November 16, 2009

First Interview

Ambi (short for Ambien) took time out of her very busy schedule to be our first interviewee.
· We’ve read a lot of books over the years. What book(s) are you especially glad you read and why?
For years, my guitar teacher had told me that I had to read The Life of Pi but her insistence did not win over my non interest into the journey of Pi.  After a few feudal attempts, I resigned myself to the fact that this book was boring and ultimately uninteresting.  It wasn’t until a few years later that this uninteresting and boring book was chosen for book group.  There my journey with Pi began and I am so grateful it did!  Pi’s tale of survival and his faith in God and the sheer imagination by the author in portraying Richard Parker as a tiger was complete genius.  Upon finishing this book, I felt euphoria, not only for the writing, but for Pi’s determination in overcoming his fears and his quest for survival.  There are certain books that leave me thoughtful upon completion.  I would have not read the book on my own unless it was assigned.  Viva book group!

· Recall one of the most memorable discussions that we’ve had?
In 2005, I think Jade (another shade of green) chose The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands as her selection.  I remember there was some heated conversation between our fellow book group members.  In particular; I remember that Sereia did not care for the book.  It was one of those deliberations that the opinions were flying around the room at mach speed.  I also believe that is one of the discussions when we truly earned our name “The Interrupters.”  Marriage is such a fascinating topic in and of itself, that to look at our nuptials from the perspective of Dr. Laura truly provided a stage for all of us to vent our frustrations with our spouses as well as our triumphs.  

· Where is your favorite place to read?
I love to read in my lazy boy in my bedroom.  I like to have a blanket over me, but it can only be to my stomach.  If I am completely hidden beneath the blanket, it gets way too hot and dark, and then I can’t read because I can’t see.

· What do you like to eat/drink while reading?
I never eat or drink while reading.  I don’t like to hear chewing noises and I am stain prone so it is either one or the other.  Never shall the two take place at once.

· What does your family think about book group?
My family views book group as a mysterious enigma.  Why would anyone read something and then want to hear about what other people thought about it?  This question and more plagues the minds of my offspring and spouse.  Surely more must be going on at these “meetings” to explain my euphoria upon returning home.  They look at me as if my head is screwed on backwards when I enter the door, still laughing from some comment made during the discussion.  And then my family notices my dismay at the complete disarray of my house resulting from my two hour absence.  If I try to explain my mood, I am looked at quizzically and reminded “that I guess you had to be there.”  Yes, for anyone to understand, they just have to experience it. 

· Besides reading, what is your favorite way to spend your time?
I love to eat food that others have made for me.  I love knowing that someone else is going to clean the plates and that I can just leave the mess of my fortuitous consumption behind.  I also like to be around my family for short periods of time.  5-10 minutes is sufficient.  Any more, and I hide in a corner, usually sucking one of my appendages. 

· Tell us something about yourself that might surprise us.
Oh my, my entire book group knows that I am a little bit of a freak show and so there isn’t much that would surprise anyone.  Here is something you might be surprised to know:  I cannot stand doing anything social by myself.  Social norms dictate my life and I cannot stand going to movies by myself, eating out by myself or attending strip clubs alone. 


Thanks, Ambi, for your frank replies. We count on you for that--and for some comic relief. Just so you know, none of us think you are "a bit of a freak show."  We think you are delightful in every way.


Also, I remember that discussion on The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands a little differently than Ambi does. I know that I had a lot of strong feelings, but I didn't dislike the book overall. I thought there were some good and valuable things in it--and I greatly appreciated others' perspectives--especially Jade's. I do remember disagreeing vehemently with Leggy (former leg model) about a different book, Fascinating Womanhood. Which brings me to an apology that is long overdue: I'm sorry for all the times when I let me strong feelings and opinions take precedence over my sensitivity to yours. I value your different opinions and think our discussions would be boring and dull if we always felt the same.


One last note: let me know if you hate your pseudonym and I will change it!

No comments:

Post a Comment