Sunday, April 11, 2010

Temple Grandin

I found this great video of Temple Grandin on ted.com. Her lecture is called "The World Needs Different Minds." Check it out here.
Temple Grandin is the first person I've heard of who says her favorite animal is a cow. I have a very limited association with cows, I must admit, but my favorite memory is of the first summer I was married. My husband and I lived in a cabin in a canyon at the foothills of the Tetons. It was spectacularly beautiful. A river ran past our cabin and and we pumped the river water into our shower. We borrowed a ringer washer and hung our clothes on a line over the river. The fields were covered with tons of wildflowers -- and a great many cows. My husband worked long hours on million dollar cabins while I stocked shelves part-time in the local grocery store. I spent a lot of time alone, just me and the cows. I found out that summer that those cows enjoyed being serenaded. They especially liked the songs from "The Sound of Music." If I am ever fortunate enough to meet Temple Grandin I will tell her so.
Watch a trailer from the HBO movie Temple Grandin with Claire Daines.

1 comment:

  1. Is it weird that my eyes misted up watching that trailer??? haha

    ReplyDelete